Softball is one of the fastest growing sports in the UK at the moment. GLSML Softball 101 offers a great chance to get involved with a fun and friendly mixed sex sport and community. Our coaches will help you hit home runs, take amazing catches and turn outstanding double plays – and you’ll meet a load of new people while doing it.
“The social side is strong, and everyone is welcomed regardless of experience or skill level.” Alex, Game of Throws
When: Every Monday starting 9 May until mid August.
Where: Regents Park on Pitch 7 – entrance to the park by Gloucester Gate.
Time: 6.30pm until the light fades (usually 8.30pm), and usually followed by a trip to the pub.
Cost: £3 (Equipment provided, but bring your own glove if you own one)
“Easy going atmosphere, no pressure and great people” Lili, 2015.
Slow pitch softball is a social and enjoyable game, and the basics are easy to learn and play. The various positions demand different skills from players, making it great even for people who don’t consider themselves athletes. The rules are very similar to baseball – you get to wear a glove and swing a bat – but because the ball is pitched slowly and underarm it is considered a hitting game, so there is a bit more action out in the field.
“I knew nothing at all about softball. I had seen baseball but thats about it! My girlfriend suggested we play and I loved it!” Neal, Game of Throws
The sessions will give all players the confidence to catch, throw, field and bat while learning the rules of the game. All skills are built into game situations. It’s not like X-factor, no one will be voted off each week!
“I liked the fact that the nights were split in to skills/drills and a game. This allowed the correct techniques to be learnt required for general gameplay, and then implementing them in a match.”
By the end of the summer you will be forming a team to enter the Greater London league in the 2017 season.
The Pick-6 competition is back in 2016, offering both the winning individual and their team a fantastic prize! And entry is free!
Using the entry form below, simply make your selections as to which teams will win each of the GLSML’s six divisions this year, and keep your eye on the standings as the season progresses.
Terms & Conditions apply.
Entries must be received by 17 May 2016:
Terms & Conditions
- All entrants must be rostered to a GLSML team for the 2016 season.
- Only one entry per GLSML player is allowed. (GLSML Committee Members may not enter).
- No changes to an entrant’s selections are allowed, once submitted.
- If multiple entries are received from one entrant or email address, the first entry received shall be considered the only valid entry.
- The winner shall be the entrant who correctly guesses the highest number of division winners for the 2016 season.
- In the event of multiple winners, the GLSML committee will decide how to split/allocate prizes.
- In the event that two teams are tied at the end of the regular season for a division crown, both teams will be considered winners for purposes of this competition.
- The winner(s) will be announced at the GLSML end-of-season awards party, but does not have to be present to collect the prize.
- The entrant agrees, by entering, that his/her name may be published by the GLSML upon winning.
- The GLSML Committee reserves the right to change the competition rules.
- In the event of any dispute related to this competition, the decision of the Committee is final.